INDOOR FALL 2017-2018
It is the mission of the Bump Volleyball Club
To organize team sports that provide a high-quality experience in which every athlete:
- has fun
- feels important regardless of performance
- learns lessons valuable beyond the court
- learns the skills, tactics and strategies of the game and improves as a player
To cultivate an inclusive and diverse environment for all members - gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, questioning and straight allies.
To encourage and empower each individual to reach their goals as an athlete, teammate, friend, leader and member of the greater community.
To foster greater tolerance and empathy
SCHEDULE: Wednesdays September 27, 2017 to February 28, 2018.
There are 2 courts each with
1x 90min time slot
Each team will have a 1 match per week.
GAME TIME/WARM-UP/TIMEOUTS: Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your match to setup, teardown, and/or warmup. Upon mutual agreement of your Captains, you may start early or use part of your 90mins for warm-up. Please DO NOT use balls in the parking lot, that is a violation of the by-laws. Each team will have one 30sec timeout per set for a max total of three per match.
SELF-REGULATION: This league puts fun at the forefront. Coaching eachother and/or the other team is highly encouraged, so we can learn new skills and progress. If you catch yourself in violation of any rules, call yourself or your own teammates out to avoid any conflicts
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: Maximum of 6 players can be on the court at one time. There is no maximum limit on the amount of team members. Minimum number of original roster players to play a game is 3.
SUBS: Drop-ins will be allowed to substitute players upon completion of a Liability Waiver, and a $10 fee (court time is not guaranteed unless a Team Lead agrees to take you on, so please arrive early).
FORFEITS: When teams have less than 3 roster players, they will be forced to forfeit that game. As a courtesy, please give 48hrs notice. There is an Availability tab in your TeamSnap account to forecast your attendance. Upon mutual agreement of Captains, teams may mix to accomodate exhibition play.
START OF GAME: A Rock, Paper, Scissor match will be used to determine which captain has choice of service or side.
GAME CLOCK: The gymnasium clock above the lobby door is the game clock, or the red stereo if the gym clock is wrong. All matches MUST cap at the scheduled time, however, you may start early if time and space permits. Whatever the score in whatever game teams are in when the game clock expires, that will be the final score for that game and the match will be decided upon that.
RALLY GAME: All games will play using All-Rally Scoring Rules. Best of 5 sets wins the match. Each game will play to 25, teams must win by 2 and there is no cap. If there is a 5th set, the cap is 15 or the end of the game clock, whichever comes first. In the rally game, points will be awarded on both the service and serve receive side. If the time expires during a "rally", the team with the most points at this time will be given the game. Each game win = 1pt (e.g. 1st game win, 2nd game loss, 3rd game win = 2pts).
GAME EQUIPMENT: BUMP Volleyball Club will provide balls, and scorekeep equipment. Nets and posts will be made available by the school. It is every player's responsibility to arrive on time to help set-up and tear-down the courts, while maintaining the integrity of the equipment.
CONTACT WITH THE NET: In interest of keeping players safe and games moving along, a point will be awarded to the other team if you make contact with the net during a play at the net.
- A serve IS allowed to make contact with the net.
- The width of the service area is sideline to sideline. At the moment of contact during a serve, the server may take only one step beyond the line, due to the size restrictions in this gym. After the hit, the server may step or land inside the court.
- The serve may not be blocked or spiked.
- In the name of sportsmanship, rotation will be required after 5 consecutive serves per one player.
- Each team is allowed a maximum of three hits to return the ball. A defensive block does not count as one of the hits.
- A ball may touch various parts of the body to count as a hit.
- Captains must call for a timeout or substitution before the serve.
- If players are out of rotation after the ball is served, the team at fault will lose the point.
- At the first hit of the team (i.e. serve receive), the ball may contact various parts of the body consecutively provided that the contacts occur during one action.
- A blocker may touch the ball beyond the net, provided that the blocker does not interfere with the opponent’s play (i.e. set) or attack hit.
- A player is at fault if they touch the ball or the opponent in the opponent’s space (ball has not broken the plane of the net) before or during the opponent’s attack hit.
Faults or Side Outs include:
- Out of bounds or outside the court lines (contact with the lines is still fair)
- Contact with the outside of the antennae, contact on the inside is still fair
- Contact with the ceiling and/or basketball equipment
- Four hits
- Double hit during second (set) or third contact
- A player hitting the ball two times consecutively
- Back-row attack. A back-row player must take-off from behind the 10’ line before contacting the ball. After contact, the back-row player may land within the front zone.
- Catch/throw/lift or carry (guiding the ball instead of hitting it)
- Breaking the plane when ball is not on your side
- Player’s foot completely crossing over the center line
Other BC Volleyball rules apply, unless otherwise mentioned.
Our programs play at the following levels of play:
Recreational - all skill levels including little or no experience
Competitive - high school and/or college experience
For the 2017-2018 season, there are 4 teams total, and all skill levels have been evenly distributed to balance the level of play.